Saturday, October 27, 2012

I Am Alive 07: Into the Darkness

After descending into the dust again, I climb up to where the trams used to run. No risk of electrocution here; the power died a long time ago. As I reach a wide gap between the tracks, I hear a faint voice calling for help. I would help, but Mei's health may be in jeopardy the slower I get to her. Scratch that voice; Mei is important for now.

Using my grapple hook, I swing across safely. I don't go down because that'll be the death of me. Dust keeps coming into my airway, choking me faster than a drop of dew drying under the hot sun. Another long gap at the end of the tracks as I expected, and I swing over.

I climb up toward the mall entrance into a spot I did not notice before I went down earlier, and a man appears with a machete. He's threatening, but that's all. I back away and jump down to the next spot where four idiots come out, wielding machetes and a gun. I have no ammo left, but if I bait the one with the gun to come closer to me, I could catch him by surprise and have myself some ammo to frighten the rest.

***
Mei is still here, and looking better by the minute after I gave her the medicine. The little girl actually sings to herself. Wonders of the young...

Henry calls again, telling me we should move. Downstairs we'll find a way into the subway. If we keep following Line 4, we'll be able to meet him eventually. Sounds like a good idea. I strap Mei behind me and we set off downstairs. 

As we pass the empty elevator shaft, I hear that coughing sound again. Sounds even worse this time. Maybe all the person needs is a little help.

Mei asks me, as we descend to third floor to see the coughing person, if I had a child. "About your age," I say, as I land on the flat surface. "What's her name?" 

"Mary," I said, then quickly ask the old gentleman lying on a mattress. "You okay sir?"

Turns out he is asthmatic, and in need of an inhaler. I remember picking one up, and gave it to him. One shoot and he's better, or so he claims. He is the last member of a bunch of friends who came in here, and one by one his friends had gone out, but none returned. He seems to surrender his fate, and tells me to be careful if I am going to the subway.

In front of the shaft there is a padlocked store. Fortunately I have a bullet left. Shoot the padlock and inside I find quite a few useful things, especially a first aid kit. Nothing left to do but to go down into the subway.

***
Beside the escalator I find a bullet. That'll come useful. 

Mei's still strapped onto my back as we make our way deeper into the subway. We just arrived at the first landing when four idiots come forward. "I'm just bringing a child to a safe location," I plead, palms outward. I hear Mei moan faintly behind me. 

"Yeah, we got hungry children too," said the leader with a head covering. Under here? I doubt that very much. But the idiot head just pushes me twice as I draw him further from his men. Before his hand lands on me for the third time, my machete flies in an arc and catches his neck and the vital arteries there. He collapses, throwing the rest of his friends in a panic. 

One quickly takes out his gun but I am ready; I point my gun at him and whispered please do not miss. One on the chest. He falls down, lifeless, and with my gun pointing at the other two, quickly collect the fallen bullets.

But the last two are tough. They both try to fight me, probably trying to get my resources. Mei screams as their machete fall dangerously close to her as one of them try to hit me from behind. Dammit, I need to work fast, and decided to quickly kick one into the fire, and threaten the other into submission. 

Seeing his friend writhing and screaming in agony as the fire burns him makes a very good motivation to surrender. We leave the idiots and walk further down. 

I hear a woman and two men. The men seems to have found something, but I'm only interested in getting to Henry. As I walk closer, the men begin to raise their voices. It's not long before the two begins fighting. The woman asks for help, but the other guy takes out his machete. He looks ready to strike at the other man. I have three bullets. Should I waste it on a man who has a slip of judgment? Or just let whatever happen, happens?

***
Threatening, if done correctly, can subdue people properly, without the need for bloodshed. I point my gun at the man, and he slowly surrenders. I strike him on the neck for a good measure. Just enough for him to sleep on it.

Going further down, we come across two people sitting and eating. Eating meat. As I approach them, they offer the meat not to me, but to Mei because she looks hungry. Looking closer, I begin to have doubts. 

As far as I can recall, I never saw any animals running about, scurrying away in the darkness or out in the open. Trying to push away dark and disturbing explanations, I decide to have a short walk. A flight of stairs is on our left, so we walk that way, finding a bottle of water and bullets. 

I still have that nagging, frightening thought riding upon me (no offense, Mei) like a lead weight. In the air, there is a certain smell. Hanging there, unwashed, stuck. Not filth. I play my flashlight upon the wall and it catches something red and sticky long since dried. More on the floor, and like grotesque breadcrumbs, the trail leads away from these men.

"What happened here?" I whisper to no one in particular. "Mei," I say to her, "close your eyes and stay very, very quiet."

I feel her nod against my back. I ready myself with either my machete or my gun. This can get ugly very, very fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment