Saturday, May 15, 2010

Let Me Tell You About: Gail Carriger's Changeless

Late last week, I finally got my copy of Gail Carriger's second book of The Parasol Protectorate Series. I denied myself the pleasure of devouring the book until yesterday, when I finally plunged right in, with a tall glass of cool iced lemon tea and some peanuts. How un-British.

I am happy to say that the wit I often associate with the classics of the English literature is still there, if not even sharper. By now, Ms Carriger has nearly dropped all efforts of descriptions on her heroine and hero, and the same goes for the surroundings. She has instead focused on the story, which is a very delightful change of pace. The only moments where descriptions really matter are when she inserts new characters and puts the reader within the dirigible. Marvelous things, those dirigibles.

The second book reveals what really drove Lord Maccon to leave his homeland. A new character is put forth: a French inventor who sells hats as a cover. (Hmm, there is a pun somewhere there, but it is lost to me at the moment.) Needless to say, Ms Hisselpenny is always choosing the worst kind, but Lady Maccon's introduction to the Frenchwoman is nothing short of explosive. She is also eccentric.I do, however, miss Lord Akeldama. The wonderful vampire has less space, now that the entire story is moved to Scotland, Lord Maccon's homeland. Oh, bother! But that only shows how far his network goes all around jolly ole British. The few times he comes up are really precious.

New steamworks are also put to fore, with me devouring the descriptions all the way. (What do you mean, the telegraph failed?!) I do so love secret weapons, and parasols, for me at least, is the ultimate secret weapon. Those reading the first book remember that Alexia's parasol was taken by a certain American scientist as a token.

With that, I leave the second book and await for the third, coming later this year. Till then, I shall look out for sudden changes in the air, or more explicitly, a repulsive sensation around me. Who knows, I might be also a curse-breaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment