Monday, December 07, 2009

Let me tell you about: Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express


Cover courtesy of Wikipedia


When I told friends that English was not my strongest subjects, let alone speak it properly during my schooldays, they stared back at me in disbelief. I really hated English, not because I am not a native speaker of the language, but rather because of the teacher. Bad experiences during my primary years led me to despise the language and subject altogether, subliminally vowing to myself that I'd never do well in the subject.

When I was in my Secondary years, the school library did not interest me much. I figured that the library would be no better than the primary school library, which never opened for as long as I could remember. One hot afternoon, however, I found myself unable to go home because my father was suddenly roped in by his office for some last minute problems, and I had nowhere else to go. It was either the canteen or the library. I chose the library - it was air-conditioned.

There I saw the above book. Mind you, I had no idea what it was until I started reading it, taking my time, and an hour later, I was inexorably stuck to the book. Even borrowed the librarian's dictionary to get me through. I ended up borrowing the book and as my father drove me home, talking about his day, all I could think of was when to continue reading the book.

I practically tore across the page, and when I finally got to the ending, it left me feeling like a fool - and I was officially hooked to Christie. I then went on to the rest of her masterpieces, and to anyone who's testing their waters with murder mystery, I highly recommend Murder in Mesopotamia.

Her language is so easy to understand, and even with all the British mannerisms, one - who is not a British - would easily understand the scene she was setting, the characters might as well have fallen off the book and started running around so effortlessly she made them, and the plot! Sometimes you'd be strung along for a real ride, only to have the carpet pulled out of your feet, but not without reason. And for someone who - I assumed - might be rather uptight with rules, she broke a few of her trades. Imagine turning her victim into a murderer! Or a seemingly wonderful ally into a cold-blooded murderer! And it was all done right under our noses!

I have the Dame to thank of. Her books made me want to write in simple manner that appeals to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment